The plums are here, and we are making lots of lovely desserts and cakes with plums right now. This very simple plum cake is one of our favorites. Both because it is so easy and cheap, but also because it just tastes good. Read along here and get our recipe for plum cake.
Easy cake with plums
This plum cake is one of the late summer favorites at our home right now. The plums are ripe, and of course, that means plum cake.
This cake is so easy to make and we make it quite often. It also works with apples, pears, rhubarb, raspberries, and other fruits and berries. It is actually only your imagination that sets the limit to what you can put into the cake.
The plum cake here was eaten as a dessert, but it is also wonderful as a piece of afternoon cake with a cup of coffee.
It keeps delicious and moist for several days if you can refrain from eating it all.
Unfortunately, we don’t have plums in the garden, so this is made with plums from the supermarket, but if you have them in the garden, you should of course use them. We top the cake with almond flakes, they taste good and give the cake a little crunch.
Plums – Ripe and delicious plums. You can use them from the garden or some you bought from the supermarket or greengrocer.
Almond Flakes – Almonds and plums just go well together. That’s why we add almond flakes, but of course, you can easily skip that or replace it with other types of nuts.
Vanilla – We use vanilla paste when we bake because it’s easy. You can also use grains from a vanilla bean instead if you prefer.
Butter – This cake just needs real butter to be delicious and spongy in just the right way.
How to make a plum cake?
Fortunately, it is super easy to make this delicious plum cake with almonds yourself. First, cut out the plums. About half is cut into bite-sized cubes to fit inside the cake, and the other half is cut into slices to put on top of the cake.
Then the batter must be made. You do this by whisking eggs and sugar until fluffy and then adding flour and baking powder. Melted butter and vanilla are then poured in before the plum cubes are turned into the batter.
The batter is poured into a greased springform pan and the plum slices are placed on top of the cake. Finally, it is sprinkled with almond flakes and baked in the oven for 40-50 minutes until it is cooked through.
When the cake has cooled down, it can be taken out of the tin and served as it is or with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
Find the full recipe further down this page.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can easily freeze this plum cake after it is baked. If necessary, warm it briefly in the oven before serving.
Yes. This cake can be used as a basic recipe for almost all kinds of fruit and berry cakes. Try it, for example, as rhubarb cake, pineapple cake, pear cake, or blackberry cake.
Other cake recipes you might like
- Rhubarb cake
- Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting
- Danish apple cake with cinnamon
- Rhubarb meringue cake
- Danish banana cake with chocolate
Tips and tricks for plum cake
- The baking time for this cake depends a lot on how ripe and juicy the plums are. If the plums are very soft and release a lot of liquid, the cake may need to be baked a little longer than indicated. Check when the cake is baked by sticking a skewer or fork in the middle of the cake and see if there is raw batter hanging on it when you take it out.
- Serve the cake as a dessert with homemade vanilla ice cream.
- Serve as an afternoon cake with a good cup of coffee.
Do you love plums? Try our recipe for Plum trifle
Recipe for easy autumn cake with fresh plums
Here is our recipe for a delicious plum cake with almond flakes on top. It is a wonderful late summer cake that can be served as a dessert or afternoon cake.
We hope you will want to try the recipe and serve the lovely cake to your family or friends. It is quite obvious if you are lucky enough to have plums in your garden.
- 8 plums
- 200 g butter
- 2 eggs
- 200 g sugar
- 200 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or grains from 1 vanilla bean
- 50 g almond flakes
- The oven is preheated to 180 degrees Celcius, normal heat.
Wash the plums, cut them in half, and remove the stone. Cut half of the plums into bite-sized cubes, and cut the other half into slices to put on top of the cake.8 plums
Melt the butter in a saucepan and let it cool before using.200 g butter
Put eggs and sugar in a bowl and whisk until light, white, and fluffy. Here it is an advantage to use an electric whisk or a mixer.2 eggs, 200 g sugar
Then add flour and baking powder and whisk again until it has become a smooth mixture.200 g all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder
Gradually add the melted cooled butter and vanilla while still whisking. When the batter is completely smooth, carefully turn the cubes of plums around in the batter.1 tsp vanilla paste
- Find a springform pan of approx. 22 cm. in diameter and grease it with butter. Then sprinkle it with flour. Now pour the batter with the pieces of plum into the pan and spread it in an even layer.
- Spread the plum slices over the top of the cake and press them down lightly.
Finish by sprinkling almond flakes over the cake.50 g almond flakes
- Bake the cake for approx. 40-50 min in the preheated oven. It is important to check the cake along the way, otherwise, you run the risk of it becoming dry. If raw batter still hangs on the knife when you stick it in the cake, it needs a little more time in the oven.
- When the cake is ready, cool it before removing it from the tin.
- Serve it with sour cream or vanilla ice cream, or just as it is.
How do you like the recipe?
Have you tried this recipe? We’d love to hear what you think of it. Leave a comment, add a number of stars to the recipe and share your photo on Instagram with #madformadelskere – We love seeing your dishes ♥️
Also, sign up for our Facebook group where you can show pictures of the delicious food you make! You can find the Facebook group here