Baked plums are a wonderful late summer dessert. They can be served with vanilla cream, ice cream, or whipped cream and a little oatmeal crunch, and then you have a lovely dessert. When the plums are ripe, you need to try this! Read along here and get the easy recipe.
Easy dessert with plums
Late summer and autumn are full of delicious plums, and when the plums are ripe, it is obvious to make delicious desserts with the sweet stone fruits.
Many have plums in their garden, but they can also be bought in the supermarkets here in late summer and early autumn.
We like to serve baked plums with good vanilla ice cream, with vanilla cream, or just with whipped cream with a little vanilla in it.
Together with a little crunch in the form of roasted oatmeal with almonds, it is the best late summer dessert.
If you have plums in the garden, then it is perfectly natural to serve baked plums here at the end of the summer or in the autumn when the plums are ripe, but you can also easily buy plums in the supermarket this season.
Plums – You can use any kind of plums. If you have them in the garden, use them, otherwise, they can be bought in the supermarkets or from the greengrocer.
Vanilla – Vanilla, and plums just go together. So a good vanilla bean is perfect to use for this recipe.
Sugar – The plums need a little sugar. It gives both the right flavor to the plums, and helps to make a delicious syrup at the bottom of the dish together with the juice from the plums.
Lemon zest – A little grated lemon zest goes super well with the sweet plums. It just gives them a little acidity.
How to make baked plums?
It is super easy to make baked plums for dessert.
First, the plums must be cut in halves, and then they are placed in a dish with the cut surface facing up. They are then sprinkled with a mixture of sugar, vanilla, and lemon zest before the plums are baked in the oven until they are tender.
The plums are served warm or cold with vanilla ice cream, vanilla cream, or whipped cream and possibly a little crunch on top.
Find the full recipe further down this page.
Frequently asked questions
Yes, you can actually. Use the ones you like best. They should be a little firm, and thus not overripe because then they will be too soft when they are baked.
You can serve vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, or vanilla cream. You can also serve a little crunch in the form of roasted oatmeal or chopped nuts or almonds.
Other dessert recipes you might like
- Rhubarb cake
- Elderflower Fritters
- Danish apple cake with cinnamon
- Danish strawberry pudding (jordbærgrød)
- Danish rhubarb pudding
Tips and tricks for baked plums
- Try putting a few cinnamon sticks in the dish when you bake the plums, it gives a nice autumn flavor to the baked plums.
- If you use very acidic plums, you may need to add a little extra sugar to the recipe.
- Serve with homemade vanilla ice cream and chopped almonds on top.
- Serve with whipped cream and toasted oatmeal with almonds.
- Use the baked plums in a delicious trifle, for example with danish macaroons and vanilla cream.
Want to try another Danish dessert? Try our recipe for Old-fashioned Danish Apple Cake
Recipe for an easy plum dessert
Here you will find our recipe for delicious baked plums with vanilla. They are a wonderful dessert here at the end of summer or at the beginning of autumn when the plums are ripe.
We hope you will want to try the recipe. You can serve the plums warm or cold with toasted oatmeal or nuts and ice cream, whipped cream, or vanilla cream.
- 8 plums
- 1 vanilla bean
- 50 g sugar
- ½ lemon zest
- Turn on the oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
- Cut the plums in half and remove the stone.
- Place the plums in an ovenproof dish with the cutting surface facing up.
- Scrape the vanilla out of the pod and mix with the sugar. Grate the lemon zest and mix it with the sugar.
- Sprinkle the sugar with vanilla and lemon zest over the half plums, also place the empty vanilla pod in the dish.
- Bake the plums in the oven for 15-20 minutes until they are completely tender.
- Serve the baked plums with the plum syrup from the bottom of the dish, whipped cream, or vanilla ice cream, and possibly toasted oatmeal with almonds.
How do you like the recipe?
Have you tried this recipe? We’d love to hear what you think of it. Leave a comment, add a number of stars to the recipe and share your photo on Instagram with #madformadelskere – We love seeing your dishes ♥️
Also, sign up for our Facebook group where you can show pictures of the delicious food you make! You can find the Facebook group here