It could hardly be easier to make a whole chicken in the air fryer, juicy, with lots of flavors, and crispy skin. Served with some crispy fries, homemade cucumber salad, and a good Danish remoulade, this is the recipe for a classic Danish barbecue menu. If you want to see how easy it is to make, read along here.
Moist chicken with crisp skin
I have had a very skeptical attitude toward the air fryer concept, I must admit.
But that has changed after a few weeks with the kitchen’s newest “toy”, a Cosori Dualblaze Air fryer. We have simply cooked so much good food in it.
It’s really easy, it pretty much takes care of itself, and the taste is always top-notch. So if you’re also a bit skeptical about air fryers, give it a try, it’s actually a perfectly OK way to cook.
In addition, we save electricity for the oven, which is certainly good at these times.
Chicken – Our air fryer can hold a whole chicken of around 1300 grams. It must not be much larger, but that of course depends on the size of your air fryer.
Barbecue seasoning – An air fryer chicken like this needs seasoning. We use our homemade barbecue seasoning, but you can of course also choose to buy a ready-mixed seasoning.
Olive oil – We get the best result by just brushing or spraying the chicken with a little oil before it goes into the basket.
How to make an air fryer whole chicken?
It’s so easy to make a delicious whole chicken in your air fryer, and it’s something we make again and again because it’s just easy and delicious everyday food.
First, the chicken must be prepared and cleaned, and then it must be sprayed with olive oil and sprinkled with barbecue seasoning.
The chicken is then placed in the air fryer basket with the breast side down and given 20 minutes before being turned over and given 20 minutes with the breast side up.
Aim for the core temperature to be 75 degrees Celcius, and then the chicken is ready. It may just rest for 5-10 minutes before it is cut out and served.
Find the full recipe further down this page.
Frequently asked questions
An air fryer chicken takes 40 minutes to cook at 180 degrees Celcius.
We cook the chicken at 180 degrees Celcius. It gives a perfectly moist chicken with crisp skin.
Yes, sure you can.
Yes, you can. In these pictures, we have actually filled it with oranges cut in half and some herbs. It could also be lemons. Be aware that when you fill the chicken, the cooking time will be slightly longer. Remember to measure the core temperature along the way, it must be 75 degrees Celcius to be cooked through.
Other air fryer recipes you might like
Tips and tricks for this recipe
- Try stuffing the chicken with, for example, oranges, lemons, apples, onions, or anything else that can give a good taste, and keep some of the juice in the chicken. It needs a little longer in the air fryer if it is stuffed.
- If the skin is not completely crispy at the end, you can increase the temperature to 205 degrees Celcius for the last 5-10 minutes. Remember to keep a close eye on it so that the skin does not burn.
- Serve as a classic grilled chicken with fries, cucumber salad, and Danish remoulade.
- Serve with crispy baked potatoes and a lovely red cabbage salad with pomegranate and salted almonds
Do you love to prepare food in your air fryer? Try our recipe for Air fryer pork belly
Recipe for whole chicken in air fryer
Here you get our recipe for a delicious and juicy chicken with crispy skin, made in an air fryer. It is easy, delicious, and energy-saving compared to using the oven.
We hope you will want to try the recipe and serve a delicious chicken for the family.
Air fryer whole chicken
- Air fryer
- 1 chicken approx. 1200 g.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp barbecue seasoning
The chicken is prepared. Remove the rump and cut off the outer wing joints and discard them. Clean the inside of the chicken, and pat it dry with paper towels.1 chicken
Then coat the chicken in a thin layer of oil and then sprinkle with barbecue seasoning. – We sometimes choose to fill the chicken with, for example, lemons, oranges, apples, herbs, or other things that give a good taste. You can easily do this in the air fryer, but the cooking time will be slightly longer than stated in the recipe here.1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp barbecue seasoning
- Place the chicken on the rack in the drawer of your air fryer, breast side down, and then give it 20 minutes at 180 degrees Celcius.
- When the time is up, turn the chicken breast side up, and cook it for approx. 20 minutes again, or until the core temperature is 75 degrees Celcius. – Be aware that the cooking time may vary depending on the brand of your air fryer.
- When the core temperature of 75 degrees Celcius is reached, the chicken is taken out, after which it rests for 5 minutes, and then it is ready to serve.
- Attention: This recipe is made for a Cosori Dual Blaze Airfryer. If you use a different type of airfryer or Actifry, the cooking time may need to be adjusted. Keep a close eye the first time you try a new recipe in your air fryer, as the machines can heat very differently.
How do you like the recipe?
Have you tried this recipe? We’d love to hear what you think of it. Leave a comment, add a number of stars to the recipe and share your photo on Instagram with #madformadelskere – We love seeing your dishes ♥️
Also, sign up for our Facebook group where you can show pictures of the delicious food you make! You can find the Facebook group here