Chicken with lemon and capers, or chicken piccata. It really is a delicious mouthful. Tender chicken with a delicious piquant taste of lemon, and then the little bombs of a little acidity one gets from capers. I was a little afraid the kids wouldn’t like it, but “big nuggets” as they call it have been approved! So if you want an easy dinner with chicken, check out this recipe.
Easy Italian dishes
There are many recipes from Italy that we also love here in Denmark. Common to many of them is that they obviously taste nice, but also that many of them don’t take that long to make. The fact that they are quick to make, it fits really nicely into our everyday lives, where there can be a little pressure around dinner time. You might know that yourself if you have children.
How to make chicken piccata?
Besides that chicken piccata tastes great, it’s also really easy to make. Piccata is traditionally served with pasta, but you can also easily eat it with good bread. Chicken piccata is a quick and easy dish- you can easily make it for everyday food. Our recipe is based on chicken, but the dish can also be made with veal.
- Chicken fillet. It can also be boneless chicken thighs
- Olive oil
- Chicken broth
- White wine. Can be omitted, but it gives a great taste.
- Eggs and flour for breading. Can also be omitted, but breading is nice.
- And then I have to say that plenty of butter does very well, but can also be omitted for a slightly more low-fat version.
You start by banking out the chicken- then bread it and fry golden on the pan. Then make the sauce in the same pan- you have to keep all the flavor in there! Then put the chicken back in the sauce and simmer for a few minutes, then the dish is ready to serve.
- Serve with freshly cooked spaghetti and a green salad
- Eat with a good homemade baguette to dip in the sauce in the pan.
- Eat with a cabbage salad or boiled broccoli for a healthier meal, and save on the butter during cooking if you want to save calories.
Other easy recipes you might like
- Tomato soup with fresh tomatoes
- Danish chicken and asparagus tartlets
- Danish burning love (brændende kærlighed)
- Gambas pil pil – Prawns in garlic and chili
Chicken piccata recipe
Here comes our version of a delicious, easy Italian dish with chicken.
We hope you will want to make it as an easy supper, or a cozy one for the weekend. Serve it with freshly cooked spaghetti and a fresh salad, or just with good bread. Bon appetite.
- 1 lemon
- 650 g chicken breast or boned chicken thighs
- 1 ½ dl all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs beaten together
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil plus extra for frying
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 2 dl chicken broth
- ½ dl white wine
- 3 tbsp capers drained, possibly rinsed
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley
- Start by preparing the lemon. Divide it into 2. One half you need to use the juice and the peel off, the other half cut into slices and then into quarters. Set it all aside for later use.
- Then the chicken breast must be prepared. Remove fat and tendons. Then divide them into 2. Now pound each fillet piece out to Approx. 1 cm in thickness.
- Now the pounded chicken breasts need to be breaded. First they are turned around in flour, then into eggs and finally into flour again.
- In a pan, preheat oil and butter over medium heat. Now fry the breaded chicken breasts for 3-4 minutes on each side or until they are completely golden and crispy. Set them aside when done and cover them with foil to keep them warm.
- Now the sauce should be made in the same pan that was used to fry the chicken. Add a little oil, put the onion and garlic on the pan and fry it for a few minutes.
- Then add broth, white wine, lemon juice, lemon peel, capers and lemon pieces. Let the sauce boil a bit, it should take 2-3 minutes. Add sugar and season with salt and pepper.
- Return the chickenpieces to the sauce and simmer for a few minutes. Pour the sauce over the chicken, sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve the dish directly in the pan.
How do you like the recipe?
Have you tried this recipe? We’d love to hear what you think of it. Leave a comment, add a number of stars to the recipe and share your photo on Instagram with #madformadelskere – We love seeing your dishes ♥️
Also, sign up for our Facebook group where you can show pictures of the delicious food you make! You can find the Facebook group here