Curried cabbage and chicken is a delicious dish, that is very easy and cheap to serve. It is a dish the whole family loves, and it is easy to make a large portion so you have healthy and good food for several days. Read along here and get our recipe for a wonderful curry cabbage with chicken.
Easy, healthy and cheap
Easy, healthy, and cheap. That is how we, and many other families with children, prefer dinner, and this one falls into all three categories.
That is why it is also quite popular in Denmark.
Curried cabbage and chicken are just a perfect winter dish, and the fact that it is something both children and adults love certainly does not make it worse.
Most of us have probably grown up with the traditional danish curried cabbage and minced beef, but have you tried making it with ground chicken? It is surprisingly good, and chicken is something most people can eat.
We like to make a large portion when we make this dish because it is great to have leftovers for the next day. If it is too much, the leftovers can also easily be frozen, and then there is always a portion of easy food in the freezer. That’s definitely not bad at all.
White cabbage – We usually use white cabbage when we make curried cabbage. It’s easy to get a hold of, really healthy, and then it’s cheap and good food.
Minced chicken – Minced chicken is a healthy alternative when making curried cabbage. It can also be made with other types of minced meat, such as beef or pork.
Onions and garlic – Gives good taste to the dish.
Curry and turmeric – Gives good taste, and is also what contributes the yellow color to the dish.
Broth – Gives just the right taste to the curried cabbage.
How to make curried cabbage and chicken?
Fortunately, it is not at all difficult to make curried cabbage with minced chicken.
First, the meat must be browned in the saucepan, and then add the onion and garlic before the spices go in. Then the finely chopped cabbage and the rest of the ingredients must be put in the pan, and then the curried cabbage must be cooked under a lid for an hour until it is well tender.
Then the curried cabbage is ready to serve. We love eating it with fresh coriander on top and with a good loaf of bread. Some also serve it with rice.
Find the full recipe further down this page.
Frequently asked questions
You can store the curried cabbage in the fridge for 3 days or you can freeze it.
Yes, it can. Make a large portion and freeze it in smaller portions. Then there is always easy dinner for when you do not have time to stand in the kitchen.
Yes, you can also use other types of cabbage for example pointy cabbage or savoy cabbage.
Yes, you can also use other types of minced meat for example pork or beef.
Other cabbage recipes you might like
Tips and tricks for curried cabbage with chicken
- You can cook the curry cabbage in the pressure cooker if you are busy. Then you can make the dish in just half an hour.
- Try using other types of cabbage.
- Serve with good bread for example Ciabatta bread or Naan bread with garlic
- Serve with rice or cauliflower rice.
Recipe for the best healthy chicken and curry dish
Here you get our easy recipe for a delicious batch of curry cabbage with chicken. It is both easy, healthy, and really delicious everyday food that the whole family loves to eat.
You can serve the dish with rice or just with a good loaf of bread. We hope you feel like trying the recipe and making delicious food for your family.
Curried cabbage and chicken
- 1 white cabbage
- 500 g minced chicken
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 onions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 0.5 l water
- Fresh coriander
- Start by preparing the cabbage. Rinse it, cut it into quarters and cut it finely. I use a mandoline slicer set to 2 mm, When all the cabbage is cut, set it aside.
- Chop the onion and finely chop the garlic.
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil and brown the minced chicken well. When the meat is browned, add the chopped onion and garlic, sauté for a few minutes.
- Add curry powder and ground turmeric. Let it saute for a minute.
- Add cabbage, salt, sugar, stock cubes, and then add the water. Bring to a boil and turn down the heat.
- Let the curry cabbage simmer under a lid for an hour, or until the cabbage is tender. Add if necessary more water along the way. Remember to stir the pan occasionally so it does not burn.
- When the cabbage is tender after an hour, the dish is ready to serve.
- Serve the curried cabbage with rice, bread or eat it as it is. Sprinkle with fresh coriander on top.
How do you like the recipe?
Have you tried this recipe? We’d love to hear what you think of it. Leave a comment, add a number of stars to the recipe and share your photo on Instagram with #madformadelskere – We love seeing your dishes ♥️
Also, sign up for our Facebook group where you can show pictures of the delicious food you make! You can find the Facebook group here